Monday, December 27, 2010

Top 10 Thing's I'll Miss / 5 Things I will Not Miss About the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania / And a Passing Note to Texas

Matthew Kennel of Atglen, a 2001 graduate of Octorara High School, posted this on FaceBook this morning as he departs for his first post college (undergrad at Villanova followed by a Masters degree at the University of Steubenville) position teaching catholic church history at John Paul II High School in Corpus Christi, Texas.

Today I officially become a carpetbagger.  Today, I leave Pennsylvania for the state of Texas.  But, if I leave my home of 25 years, it is certainly not with a lack of love and gratitude for the many blessings it has bestowed upon me.  Here are the top 10 things I will miss about living in PA.

10.  Shady Maple Smorgasbord - Shady Maple is, quite simply put, the finest place to experience real Pennsylvania Dutch cooking.  It is like a stadium for food.  One fun fact about Shady Maple is that Buzz Tyson, Keith Brooks, and Ryan King often bet with each other about things and, usually, the loser has to buy Shady Maple for everyone (although I'm not sure how often these bets are actually enforced.  You've gotta get on that, guys).

9. Local Food Brands (Turkey Hill Tea, Herr's Chips) - One reason why Lancaster County hasn't been touched as badly by the recession is that it's so hard to leave due to excess gravity from the locals eating so much of our awesome food.

8. The Scenery - Pennsylvania is known for being a beautiful state.  Whether it be the lovely mountains of the center of the state, the rolling hills and horse farms of southern Chester County, or the magnificent corn fields of Lancaster County, our state is a very lovely physical place to live!

7. The Seasons - So, despite snow sometimes being annoying, I think it will be quite odd for it not to get cold in the Fall or be cold at Christmas, and I very much wonder if the Texan spring will have beauty to even begin to compare with the rich loom of colors that our Springs have.

6. The History - I live 90 minutes from the city where the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were signed, less than 90 minutes from Valley Forge and the Battlefield of the Brandywine, and a mere hour and a half from the most significant battle ever fought on American soil, the Battle of Gettysburg!

5. The Mennonites - Mennonites are fantastic people.  Their cooking is good and their generous spirit is amazing.  They are true followers of Jesus Christ and I will always love and respect them for that, no matter what theological differences we may have.  I will miss the little old Mennonite ladies with their plain dresses and prayer caps.  I will miss Bible Quizzing.  I will miss hearing about the missions and MDS and MCC.  I will miss playing "the Mennonite Game" (the game where you try to find out how you're related to someone).

4. Pittsburgh - This is from my 2 1/2 years living in Eastern Ohio - Pittsburgh is a jewel on the Three Rivers.  It is a beautiful city and a great place to hang out!

3. Going to Market - So, technically, this is something I will miss about Delaware.  I have worked at the New Castle Farmers Market in almost every year since 2003.  It is a fantastic, fast paced work place with amazing co-workers and, in Jeff Craig, a boss unequaled in generosity, flexibility, and encouragement!

2. My Friends - That so many of my friends have moved away from Lancaster County already is the thing that makes it tolerable to leave in the first place.  Why, in my heyday of 2002/2003, I could wrestle on any given weekend between hanging out with Ryan King, Dustin King, Charlie King, and Keith Brooks on the one hand, or playing games with Rodney Umble, Ryan Smoker, Matt Ressler, Abe "Raaaaaaaaaaallllllllllppppppppphhhhhhhh" Walters on the other hand, or having deep discussions over Wawa at 3AM with Jen Shultz, Dan Shultz, and Kady Pulliam on third, and not to mention hanging out at the Park house with Mr. Park, Dave, Samantha, and Joel Park and any of the host of Mt. Vernon related characters who hung out with them.  I miss you all already, and especially those of you who preceded me in leaving this state.  Oh, and, of course, I miss being within easy striking distance of all my friends in New York City!  And I will miss Smac and my new Catholic friends I was making this semester.

1. My Family - Of course, I already miss Nan and Grandma Diem, God rest their souls.  And I already miss my Dad, who has lived with a brain injury in the nursing home for 10 years.  But, I will miss my Grandma Kennel, my mom, and my dear sisters.  And I will miss being within striking distance of my Kennel-side relatives who live in New Jersey and New York.

Top 5 Things I will Not Miss

5. New York/New Jersey Drivers - One time, when I was just starting out the Fall '09 semester at Franciscan University, I saw a car parallel parking in the Circle.  It proceeded to give a love tap to the cars in front of and in back of it.  I said, "That driver must be from New York."  I was right!

4. State Income Taxes - Pennsylvania has state income taxes, Texas does not!!!!!

3. Snow - If I enjoyed the snow so much last winter in Steubenville, it is only because I didn't have to drive far in it and it looks beautiful through a window from a heated room or car.

2. Pittsburgh Steelers Fans, especially in Lancaster County - With apologies to Aunt Ellen, Scott, and Steven, I will definitely not miss the hourdes of people in Yellow, especially when those people were born and bred in Lancaster County and should, by all rights, be fans of the Eagles!!!!

1. Passing Amish buggies - I know that the Amish are great people and that they bring great boons to our economy, but I will not miss passing Amish buggies on the road.  They go soooooooooo slow, and especially when you're going up a hill.  Oh, and something I discovered yesterday, Amish buggies on snowy back roads are NOT a good idea.

A Passing Note to Texas

1.  I am converting you all from being Dallas Cowboys fans to being decent, God-fearing, Philadelphia Eagles fans.  Be forewarned!!!!!!!

No comments: