Sunday, September 11, 2011

NPR Commemorates 9/11 By Profiling Parkesburg

The Fountain Inn, Parkesburg's oldest structure.
Earlier this week Bill Wilde posted a radio snapshot of Parkesburg done by NPR radio two months after the tragic events of September 11, 2001. 

Here's what Bill, who is profiled in the piece, wrote:
Back on November 21, 2001 NPR Radio came to Parkesburg and did a radio program for All Things Considered titled Voices of Parkesburg. They attempted to mirror those lost on September 11, 2001 with a town full of people of equal size; they chose Parkesburg, PA. You may listen to this broadcast at the link included. Some of the voices you will hear have passed on. Now, it has become a tribute to our community as well.
Here's the link to the radio 22 minute broadcast:  Voices of Parkesburg

Here are the comments left on Facebook following Bill's post.

  • Betsy Wilde Benner Wow - makes me want to move back. Brought tears to my eyes. Your roots go so deep I'm realizing the older I get. Thanks for sharing brother.

  • Debbie Reynolds Helms Brought tears to my eyes too Betsy! Thanks Billy this is great! It really hit me deep!!!!!


    Priscilla Mullen This was great thanks Bill
  • Pat Savino Thank you, Bill for sharing.


    Kathi Rendall Bill Wilde, this was terrific! I wish my grandfather Cowan would have been interviewed, that is if he would have talked, he would never talk to us about his war experiences. However, we have the newspaper clipping to read all that he did. Sure do miss him...
     
  • Kathi Rendall ‎...and I mean when you interviewed WWII vets, not on here...


  • Jack Mariano Thanks for posting this, Bill. Hearing Richie Klingler talking about his dad brought memories and tears to my eyes.
  • Jack Mariano I'm just wondering of all towns...why they would choose Parkesburg


  • Lynn Thomas Guidetti Jack - because the population was closest (and it is close proximity to NYC and DC) to the 9/11 death totals.

  • Lynn Thomas Guidetti Bill - Did you ever talk to Uncle Dick? (Thomas) 
      
    Ann Marie Grenko Thanks for posting - this is great!

  • Jack Mariano Bill...I'll call you Friday a.m



    Raoul Cervantes   I listened to this several years ago. I was home, in agony, with pending wisdom teeth surgery. I was in incredible pain for at least a month. I decided one day to search Parkesburg and see what I could find. I could not believe I found this treasure. Of course I remember Sonny Skiles, he was a father figure to me when I was in Jr. High. But I was really surprised when I heard John Michell's voice. His daughter, Susan, was my sweetheart in high school, and I went up to their house all the time. We used to argue about politics. looking back, I am surprised he did not throw me out on my keister. He was a pretty patient guy. It is a great broadcast. Why Parkesburg? I am guessing there was some connection between the producer of the show and the people who owned the horses. There seemed to be an usual amount of time devoted to the horse farm.
  • Raoul Cervantes Oh, I posted this site when the Pburg thing just started, and it was completely ignored.



    Tina Lynn Great piece....GARY was the voice calling the turkey raffle numbers.
     
  • Raoul Cervantes I posted it right at the beginning of the site launch. It may have gotten lost in the early days of controversy that went down at that time. I have told other people about this broadcast and I got the feeling that I was the only Parkesburgite that knew about it.


  • Kathi Rendall I sure didn't know, yes, it may have gotten lost in the "controversy", LOL, that is for sure... ha!
     
  • Bill Wilde I remember the team of three people from NPR walking around town. I'm not sure how they chose Parkesburg. They wanted to talk with Dad and I was invited to sit in during the interview at the funeral home. So much has changed in the burg since 2001 and quite a few folks on the program have passed away.
     
  • Leslie Lonsinger Ely I notice too the businesses they mentioned in the piece...many are no longer here either...shows you how much difference a decade can make...
     
  • Deb Zwicker Wilson I didn't grow up in Parkesburg but this piece is so classic it could be Anytown, U.S.A. In fact while listening, I was struck by how much it reminds me of my favorite play; Thornton Wilder's "Our Town".
     
  • Tracy Persch Bill, Thank you for sharing.....makes me miss my home town even more!
     
  • Raoul Cervantes  I found the NPR piece fascinating. I listened to it several times over the years. For one, it is a good example of how media recreates reality. I recognized the essence of the town, but there was a romantic notion in the piece that I did not experience myself. There was a real Mayberry feel about the piece, where everyone was good friends with everyone, especially the part about the diner. It also glossed over the slow decline of the town in recent years. I wish they had interviewed someone from the Wilde funeral home. When my wife at the time heard the piece, she said something interesting. She is Japanese, and had visited several times before the piece. She said that there was a strong spirit that she felt, that in spite of the hardships, there was a determination of the people, to move forward, not to give up, and to claim the future. I feel that much was true about the NPR piece. But what got me was some of those voices were a strong backdrop to my early years and took more than a small part in helping me become the person I am now.


  • Suzanne Groff  Love your writings...
     
  • Raoul Cervantes Thank you Suzanne. I love words.

No comments: