Sunday, September 25, 2011

Octorara Runner Finishes In Top 10 At Media Event


The Daily Local News this morning gave a nice shout-out to an Octorara sports team that gets little notice or press; the girls cross county team.

Reporting on the small-school Bulldog Invitation meet in Media yesterday, the Daily local took note of the strong performance of Octorara runner Lauren King and several of her teammates.  They wrote:
The first area runner to cross the line was Octorara's Lauren King, who finished ninth with a clocking of 22:02.0.

"I got out well," said King. "I ran in the second pack with about 15-20 girls for the first mile. My mile time was 6:30, which is an average time for me. I felt pretty good at the mile. I tried to keep the same pace for the second mile because it was all downhill.

"I closed to 10th place by the two-mile mark. In the third mile, I went after the girl in the grey shirt (Upper Merion's Coleen Butler). We stayed together for the last 800 (meters) and she came in a few seconds before me."

The Braves placed two other runners in the Top 25. Elle Wisot came across in 17th place with a time of 23.10.2 and Lily Padora checked in at number 21 with a clocking of 23:26.9.

"It was a tough race but it went by pretty quickly," said Wisot, a junior. "There was one hill that was really tough. I almost started walking it - but I didn't. The best part of the race was the finish. I passed a couple people in the last 800 meters."

Octorara's other finishers were Bailey Peterson, who was 40th at 25:06.7, and Hannah Dieringer, who placed 46th at 25:37.7.
 Read the entire Daily Local article here.

No comments: