Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Local Newspapers Notice Vogelsong

LancasterOnline takes notice of Octorara's Ryan Vogelsong who is enjoying a stellar season with the San Francisco Giants. 
"Octorara's Vogelsong revives career as key member of Giants' pitching staff"

So reads the headline on LancasterOnline's sport page this morning.

The money quote:
"Beat the bushes for the past five years as Octorara grad Ryan Vogelsong has done, spend more than a few of the 1,760 days you're out of the big leagues questioning yourself and your future, and you learn what's important."
Read the entire article here.

And in the Daily Local News this morning a wonderful article by sports writer Andy Edwards detailing Vogelsong's long and winding road from playing infield for Sonny Skiles' Octorara High School squad, becoming a full time pitcher at Kutztown, being drafted by the Giants, then traded to the Pirates, then to Japan, then being cut by the Phillies last Summer and finally signing with the Giants this year.

The Daily Local News article is full of great money quotes.  Here are a few:

Expressing the pain he felt when he was cut by the Phillies in 2010:
"Obviously, being a Philly guy and growing up in the area, they were always my team.  It hurt when I got released, but more so because a dream of mine to be a Phillie died that day. It happens to a lot of people but when it's a team that you really want to play for, and you've always dreamed of playing for them, it hurts, man. At the same time, it took that kind of incident to reevaluate my career and what I was doing to get me to that point."

On playing in Japan:
"It's tough, but it is what you make it.  You can go over there and shelter yourself and not experience Japanese culture, you can go over there and lock yourself in your apartment and do nothing but go to the field, which I saw people do, and those guys didn't really play too well. It's important to try, at least for me and my wife, to live as close to a normal life as we were living in the states. I think trying to live a normal life helped me play better on the field."

About his wife Nicole whom he met while playing in Pittsburgh:
"We balance each other out well.  She's an optimist, I'm a realist, and when I think things are going down the drain she always tells me they're going to be all right. She's been great. I definitely wouldn't be where I'm at without her. Everything I've been through, she's been through with me."
Read the entire Daily Local News article here.

No comments: