Thursday, April 21, 2011

Parkesburg on Facebook

  • Earlier this week Parkesburg Today traveled back in time to a bitterly cold February night in 1968  when seven children perished in a house fire on Maple Avenue.

    After posting the Post Ledger newspaper clipping describing the incident to the blog, I created a link to the story in Facebook's Parkesburg Local group.

    The vivid and heartfelt memories of the disaster left on Facebook by Parkesburg natives, all children at the time of the blaze, provide new details of the fire itself, the generosity of Parkesburg residents after the blaze, and the untold (and uplifting) story of families and a town moving on.

    Visit the Parkesburg Locals group on Facebook.  All sorts of old pictures, mementos and most importantly memories from Parkesburg's past are posted nearly every day.

    You can join the group by doing a search on Facebook or sending an email to ParkesburgLocals@groups.facebook.com.  

    Mega kudos to Kathi Rendell, Lynn Guidetti and Patricia Prange-Smith for starting the group.

    Thanks to their efforts, Parkesburg has a new town square!
    ____________________________________

    Here are the unedited Facebook comments posted in response to the Hoover Fire story seen earlier this week on Parkesburg Today:

    Ann Marie Grenko Ken, thank you for posting this. I went to school with Mary Hoover and remember this sad event.
    April 17 at 9:16pm ·

  • Lynn Thomas Guidetti Same here --
    April 17 at 10:29pm ·

  • Rick Hoskins I cried when I read this article. I worked with Ralphie, and saw his scars. He was fun to work with. He was good to me and Brian. He had a very big heart!! The Rodgers family treated me like their own. Danny stayed with me for awhile out here. and lived here before heading south.
    Monday at 6:49am ·

  • Suzanne Groff Remember it well & think of them ever time I pass Maple St. My
    mother (Mrs. Keim) Had one of the children in her class that year

    Monday at 8:59am ·

  • Kerry Glenn Does anyone know the whereabouts of Mary Hoover now?
    Monday at 9:01am ·

  • Kathi Rendall This is another thing I had the unfortunate luck to watch from my bedroom window. I remember them saying that the fireman had icicles hanging from their faces. It was a very bad night.
    Monday at 10:41am ·

  • Pat Welsh Mary Hoover was in the restaurant several months ago. She lives somewhere local. I remember that night too. Watched from the bedroom window. Horrible. Also remember watching the sewing factory burn and Keens lumber. Could see a lot from that window.
    Monday at 11:48am ·

  • Jack Mariano The second worse loss of life fire occurred on 1/18/98 on Strasburg Ave. just off of Main St. when two children died after being pulled out of a second and third story window. My cousin Dean Hoopes pulled one of those kids out and onto a ground ladder and brought the child down, Dean remembers this night well.
    Monday at 7:55pm ·

  • Anna Mowrey Baker That was a sad day. I remember it well. We went to school with every one of those families. How awful.
    Monday at 8:37pm ·

  • Lynn Thomas Guidetti Mary went to Coatesville, but I never heard where they ended up. Ralph was in Rob's class.
    Monday at 8:41pm ·

  • Betsy Wilde Benner I was 10 yrs. old and we lived on main street. I remember standing outside in the cold looking towards Maple Avenue the night of the fire. Still makes me sad thinking about it.
    Monday at 9:44pm ·

  • Kathy Herr I remember hearing about it and seeing the horrible scene and the ice and I cried so hard that night. I felt so sorry for Mary (my classmate also) and her parents for their loss-can't even imagine-think we were all in shock.
    Monday at 10:09pm ·

  • Joanne Diem Kennel Always think about it whenever I go past .. so sad
    Tuesday at 12:05am ·

  • PatriciaLee Prange-Smith Mary graduated from Coatesville High School in 75 and married Jim Davis.
    Tuesday at 6:45am ·

  • Craig Underwood I remember waking up to the sirens and going upstairs to my parents bedroom, looking out the window and seeing the glow in the sky. I also remember my Dad going down to the Post Office to make sure the Post Office wasn't burning. It was a very quiet and sad day in school that day.
    Tuesday at 6:34pm ·

  • Kerry Glenn I should ask my Brother for more details on this, but a day or two after the fire, a huge crane was brought in with a clamshell drop-bucket to dig through the ruins of the Hoover's house to find the bodies of the children. Maple Street was blocked off because the huge crane pretty much filled the whole street. Remeber the cars parked along there being coated with what seemed like ice a foot thick.
    Tuesday at 7:13pm ·

  • Betsy Wilde Benner I was in Mrs. Norris's 4th grade class when the fire happened. I remember we had a container on Mrs. Norris's desk to put money in for the Hoover family.
    Tuesday at 7:28pm

  • Kerry Glenn Betsy - Was that the collection that was used to buy the glass display case in the Parkesburg Library that was dedicated in memory of the Hoover kids?
    22 hours ago ·

  • Pamela Chesnet
    whew! A lot of emotions reading all these comments and looking at the picture. Everyone in my family survived the fire (we lived in the last house of the row). I should say we survived physically, but mentally it is something we will nev...er forget. For me (10 years old a the time) I will never forget looking at my mom standing there crying. Mom ran back into our house to get Mary 'Sissy' Hoover a blanket and the amazing thing was that her mom 'Pete' returned that blanket to us about a month later! Can you imagine that after losing 7 of your children you would remember to return the blanket? I would always see 'Pete' and Ralph over the later years and he was always joking and laughing. A lot of people helped us get back on our feet. I will always remember Sidney Altman let us come to his store and get some new clothes! We stayed several places and then the Bethany A.M.E. Church let us rent their parsonage. We made a lot of lifetime friendships living 'on the hill'
    As kids we had a lot of fun on Maple Street. I was talking to Ronnie Hoopes last week at the Wawa (small world) His brother Davey died about a month ago. We were talking about all the fun playing kick the can, hide and seek, etc. We stayed out till dark and later till our moms would come out screaming for us to get in the house! Not a care in the world that someone would take us or hurt us. The best of times and the worst of times. Thanks for listening! Pam Rodgers Chesnet.
    See More

    20 hours ago ·

  • Kerry Glenn Pam - Are you related to Elmer Rodgers?
    20 hours ago

  • Pamela Chesnet No, our name is from the area of Martins Corner, via Sarah Patton my grandmother who married John Rodgers. My mom was Gail McGinnis, brothers, Don and Bill, all of who are now deseased.
    20 hours ago

  • Betsy Wilde Benner Kerry - I don't remember if the money was used for that or not. I don't seem to have your memory for things of long ago.
    15 hours ago

  • Kathi Rendall Pam, your post brought tears to my eyes. It is so incredible to know these things now after all those years. I knew your family lived in that row, but hadn't thought about it since then and the impact that had to have on the lives of everyone back there. I am glad you all survived, so glad.
    13 hours ago

No comments: