Sunday, April 17, 2011

Parkesburg Yesterday

Click to enlarge
Last week on Facebook's Parkesburg Local group, participants shared sad memories of a 1968 house fire where 7 children, ages 1 to 8, perished.

Having never heard of the tragedy prior to reading about it on Facebook, I turned to Parkesburg' resident historian Gerry Treadway.  Gerry knew about the tragedy and fetched a notebook with the attached clippings from his attic.

The full headlines reads 'Seven Youngsters Die In Early Morning Blaze.'

Click to enlarge

2 comments:

P.J. Nolan said...

This somber day happened way before my time. I do however remember hearing bits and pieces about it throughout my childhood. Then one day about two years ago, there was a huge article in the Daily Local News. After reading this article, I then realized that I live in the townhouses that were built to replace them ones.

Anonymous said...

i was 13 years of age when this happen. we were living at the time in the apts on 224 main street. this was a sad day. Poulson